(Family Features) When hunger strikes, it can be tempting to reach for the closest treat, even if it’s laden with fat and empty calories. Make it easier to enjoy better-for-you snacks with these three simple steps that appeal to your taste and your waist.
- Know that choosing more healthy snacks can still be quick and convenient. Learn to recognize your hunger patterns and keep foods on hand to fit your cravings. For example, if you tend to need a mid-afternoon pick-me-up at work, prepare snack-size portions of finger foods that feel hearty without weighing you down.
- Make flavor count in every bite. Watching what you eat doesn’t have to be bland. In fact, an eating plan that cuts back on your calorie intake is the perfect reason to pay more attention to what you eat and thoroughly enjoy it, rather than wasting a portion of your daily consumption on foods that don’t taste great.
- When your sweet tooth is screaming, answer it with the refreshing indulgence of a fruity dessert. Fruit-based desserts are naturally sweet and deliver some of the key nutrients your body needs, so you can feel extra good about bypassing other options laden with unhealthy ingredients.
3 Steps for a Snack
With just three ingredients and three steps, it’s easy to choose and prepare a quick, healthy snack. All you need is celery, peanut butter and raisins.
- Wash celery then cut stalks in half and trim to desired length.
- Spread or pipe peanut butter into recessed side of stalks.
- Sprinkle with raisins, as desired.
Fill Up with Fruit
Creating delicious desserts can often require a ton of time and a variety of complicated steps. Rather than wasting minutes making dessert instead of eating it, try Pineapple Cherry Minis made with Dole Canned Fruit, a convenient and easy ingredient to use in all of your dessert recipes. Pineapple Cherry Minis require just 20 minutes of preparation before chilling in the refrigerator, and the fruit makes them a healthier dessert option than most after-dinner sweets. For more quick and healthy dessert options, visit dolesunshine.com.